Thursday 25 October 2018

Do you still use a desktop as your primary machine at home

I wouldn’t exactly call it a “desktop” more like a “wall”. I use a motherboard which is literally screwed into the wall.
A desktop takes up too much space, and has an annoying power supply fan. This, and the rest of my office is powered by 170AH 24V (2x 12V batteries), so without AC I can go for 72 hours or so.
The batteries are charged from a solar panel which doesn’t do much as I live in a condo without any good place outside to locate them, and a power supply. The power supply is in a different room so the noise/heat is not an annoyance.
Everything runs off the 24V (on the left is a PC power supply that takes 12–40V). I have regulators for my routers, monitors and other devices that take 5V, 9V, 12V or something else. No inverters.
EDIT:
I setup a shelf to hold the miscellaneous junk I had lying around, router / switches, a second motherboard and various XU4s and the like. Here’s a photo that (much better organized than it was on Saturday). Plus space for my cat at the bottom:

No comments:

Post a Comment